rehab
user #76230
150 posts
2 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
subject: Re: new laptop being a bitch
in reply to jadefalcon1 in message #1080:
Yeah downloading gentoo now, although i am downloading the liveCD version with the idea that if it manages to boot properly to a desktop off the CD and everything works i can then nuke my freshly re-installed copy with vista.

I don't want to use vista in the long run but i do want a useable computer, so i cracked out the recovery DVD and about 2 fucking hours later, yes it really did take about 2hrs if you include the time taken for the driver CD that you are promted to insert, had finished patching everything. The really anoying part is that it was runing a sleep comand inbetween each patch of 10,30,600 thats 600 seconds) oh and don't forget the unexplained and frequent reboots and the long peroids of time stairing at a black screen. Anyway i have a semi usable laptop again.
Don't shoot the wounded
message 1081/1103 2007-09-06 14:26:02 (-0500)
spadeinfull
user #55973
2260 posts
4 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to rehab in message #1081:
whoa, is vista really that bad? most of my friends in the know are going to some variant of linux with beryl, no one i know uses vista .. this could be why..
myself i saw "aero" and thought yay eye candy that hogs space and system resources and decided to stick with xp as long as i could..
so is vista teh sux? or what? if so im going kubuntu or something when xp
wont do what i need it to
message 1082/1103 2007-09-06 21:56:05 (-0500)
rehab
user #76230
150 posts
2 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to spadeinfull in message #1082:
Well ill try to leave personal preference out of this and answer the question.

Why so many people say Vista sucks.....

Personally i think a lot of the shall we say less technical people don't want to switch to Vista for main 2 reasons, number 1 would be because its not XP. Obvious answer i know but they have prolly been using XP for 5 years or whatever it is now, and have grown used to its quirks and change can be hard, M$ really left it too long getting Vista out the door!! . The second reason is because the hardware requirements are insainly huge, linux with beryl or compiz will run fine with a 1Ghz cpu 256MB ram and some sort of graphics card thats 3D enabled (i know the actual minimium requirements are significantly less). Now for Vista you need a new computer less than about 3 months old with a good GPU for aero just to get the thing to run, and not everyone wants to shell out $2000 because M$ just released a new OS.

Ok thats the non technical reasons out the way.

Vista is bloated!!! i mean bloated to hell a standard install comes to some obseen amount i think 17GB, wow!! and i only installed this yesterday, only apps i've installed are zonealarm, pidgin and firefox so 50MB maybe, no music yet btw. The reason Vista is bloated is interesting, When M$ develops a new OS, internal things in the kernel will be changing on a regular basis which would normally break things i.e. break compatability with drivers or whatever. In linux thats fine you can just change the drivers becasue they are open source too mostly, but in windows all the drivers are binary blobs that M$ can't really change so what they do is create a new version of say how the kernel handles USB devices but keeps the old version aswell for compatability, sounds reasnable doesn't it, well imagine what happens if you did this 15 times in development, you get a massive amount of code doing the same thing but in slightly different ways. This is a classic thing M$ does even with file formats........
Also M$ has sold out there own customers to the record lables and included a truely nasty DRM system that is never going to prevent a determind person from doing what ever the hell they damn well want but will cripple the user experience for any normal person who just wants to play the HDVD film that a friend lent them or whatever.
Microsoft has also "improved" security with this release by copy unix systems by requireing people to have admin rights to install anything, woohoo they are learning, this is a good thing. But wait i am logged in right now as admin, i didn't choose to be an admin, it just made me admin by default, so i don't need to type a password in to do anything all i do is click next on a pop up. M$ should take another leaf out of *nix and stop peple logging in as root or atleast warn them that this is a bad idea.
Hmm while we are at it there are too many versions of Vista and the differences between vresions are confusing.
Oh Vista is a crippled version of longhorn, its missing key features that were supposed to be included but got dropped, the new winfs for example.
Aero is pointless its resource intensive and no where near as good at compix-fusion or beryl, go on youtube and type in "compiz-fusion" and be amazed, then be doubly amazed that such a thing can run on 3-5 year old hardware.
Oh finally earlier i said Vista shipped to late, well it also shipped to early because drivers are a reall issue on Vista, i can't say much about this because i haven't personally experienced this.

A few reasons why i think Vista is not a good OS, that said i do like the new kicker artwork ;)

Don't shoot the wounded
message 1083/1103 2007-09-07 05:21:08 (-0500)
rehab
user #76230
150 posts
2 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to rehab in message #1083:
well i have managed to install kubuntu 7.10 beta 5 and everything seems to work ok, the only problem i have had came when i tried to install the Nvidia proprietary driver using kbuntu's restricted driver wizard.

At the moment i am not sure if this is a Bug in kubuntu after all its beta, or a problem with the actual driver on my hardware. Anyway it crashed my xserver and i had to change the driver back to the basic nv driver and all was ok again.

Currently updating everything, i have ~210 updates to install which is not far off 1/2 the total number of packages installed.

Anyway i am just happy to be back in the DE that i love.

Don't shoot the wounded
message 1084/1103 2007-09-07 19:30:58 (-0500)
kornmagik
user #56025
70 posts
1 karma point
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to rehab in message #1084:
Vista isn't so bad. That being said, you're correct, it is bloated. The more we depend on M$'s sloppiness, the more effed up code we allow to run our computers. I'm only using vista for my Dx10 games, and even then, I'm starting to think that it's not worth it right now.

Disce quasi semper victurus; vive quasi cras moriturus
message 1085/1103 2007-11-19 16:35:35 (-0600)
paradox
user #2731
2891 posts
19 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
subject: GTK 2.0 theme
My GTK 2.0 theme has been published on freshmeat.

http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/thematrix/

I needed a theme with a dark background to skin gimp and pidgin on my Windows XP machine, but it will work for any GTK apps. I didn't like the ones I found out there, so I wrote my own. If you do try it out and find any bugs, let me know.

"If you don't like it, you can shove it. But you don't like it; you LOVE it."
-- Rivers Cuomo,
"The Greatest Man That Ever Lived", Weezer (the red album)
message 1086/1103 2008-09-03 11:50:06 (-0500)
outzider
user #1
4388 posts
22 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
subject: linux
christ, linux sucks. between md and lvm, i, and others, want to shoot [my/them]self in the face.

missing zfs already.

//////// oZ //////// [blog] [lj] [things i hate about you]
"When your opponent is drowning, throw the son of a bitch an anvil." - James Carville
message 1087/1103 2010-09-07 11:02:39 (-0500)
jadefalcon1
user #21137
8067 posts
27 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
subject: re: linux
in reply to outzider in message #1087:
I'm not a fan of lvm, only because I haven't screwed around with it much. What is it about mdadm that's driving you up the wall? I'm pretty good with it, and haven't had any major (though some minor) gripes with it.

~Jade Falcon
[mail][blog][page]
"I could pull a Kit, and start stripping." ~What
message 1088/1103 2010-09-07 13:41:27 (-0500)
outzider
user #1
4388 posts
22 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to jadefalcon1 in message #1088:
Compare it to volume management on any other OS.

"When your opponent is drowning, throw the son of a bitch an anvil." - James Carville
message 1089/1103 2010-09-07 16:02:45 (-0500)
jadefalcon1
user #21137
8067 posts
27 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to outzider in message #1089:
Windows? 'nuff said there.

Solaris? Why am I still using device paths that involve controllers and targets? Who the fuck calls partitions slices? And why should slice 6 be holy? (it always refers to the entire disk for some unimaginable reason)

Mac? Can't say much about it, haven't done volume management in Mac world.

I think lvm could be significantly improved, but mdadm is pretty solid. So again, what's your actual gripe? Or are you trying to be me and just raging in its general direction?

~Jade Falcon
[mail][blog][page]
message 1090/1103 2010-09-07 20:03:14 (-0500)
outzider
user #1
4388 posts
22 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to jadefalcon1 in message #1090:
You obviously have never done actual volume management on Solaris. If you actually had to do disk management, you'd realize that knowing controllers and ports is actually important.

mdadm is not pretty solid. mdadm is for quick and dirty software RAID for home use. Doing anything more than that is a lesson that you should be buying $700 RAID cards instead.

message 1091/1103 2010-09-08 06:23:09 (-0500)
jadefalcon1
user #21137
8067 posts
27 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to outzider in message #1091:
And when the $700 raid card dies, and you can't get the exact same card because it's no longer available, you're fucked. Nope, portable software raid is far better that way.

I had to do disk management in a Sun E450. Three of them, in fact. The controller and port assignments had no logical correlation with the disk slots, and that's how Sun shipped them to us. Sorry, doesn't hold up.

Now, for serious, did you have an actual, specific question or were you just venting? I can respect venting, but I don't want to get into a religious argument about implementations if there isn't an actual issue to resolve.

~Jade Falcon
[mail][blog][page]
message 1092/1103 2010-09-08 12:18:40 (-0500)
outzider
user #1
4388 posts
22 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to jadefalcon1 in message #1092:
No, I don't have a fucking question, I was venting, because it fucking sucks shit compared to GEOM and ZFS.

message 1093/1103 2010-09-08 17:37:12 (-0500)
jadefalcon1
user #21137
8067 posts
27 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to outzider in message #1093:
Then vent away. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

~Jade Falcon
[mail][blog][page]
message 1094/1103 2010-09-08 21:37:36 (-0500)
sketchreed
user #129485
3 posts
0 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to spadeinfull in message #1082:
Vista is absolutely awful. It takes up twice as much system memory as it needs to for ANY application, you keep having to install drivers for even the most basic shit (i.e., jump drives...a pain in the ass when you don't have Internet), and so on.

I actually received a Vista computer sometime recently; however, I was dismayed to find that in order for my Internet card to work, I had to download a driver from the Internet. Basically, to get Internet, I had to have Internet. Not a surprise when I trashed that piece of shit.

Stick to Linux.

message 1095/1103 2011-06-05 17:07:12 (-0500)
paradox
user #2731
2891 posts
19 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
subject: Solaris blues
Our production environment running on Solaris 10 is experiencing some major performance issues. We are running dozens of webapps across a handful of apache tomcat instances; a sybase db server; three mysql servers; and process close to a million transactions a day.

When I look at top, there is always 31.5 of the 32 GB of memory in use, and 28ish GB of 32GB of swap space in use. I brought this up with the sysadmins, and they said, "NOOOO, there's not a memory problem."

I am not that familiar with the operating intricacies of Solaris, but I've been using *nix for over 15 years, and that response is really setting off my bullshit detector.

Does anyone have more Solaris admin exp that can back me up with some memory-usage recommendations?

I am Thwart-Man! *thwart* *thwart* *thwart*
message 1096/1103 2013-01-25 10:20:01 (-0600)
jadefalcon1
user #21137
8067 posts
27 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
subject: re: Solaris blues
in reply to paradox in message #1096:
If you're in swap you're doing it wrong. That's true of near any *nix there is in a production setting. Period.

Those sysadmins are either bullshitting you, or are too stupid to be working there. Possibly both. The numbers you mention are a recipe for fucking disaster.

Consider: 500M free of phys ram, and 4G free of swap. That's it. All it'd take to nuke EVERYTHING on that system is for somebody to do something, ANYTHING, that soaks up 5G of RAM. That's all it'd take.

The clowns admining that box need to be fed to lions.

~Jade Falcon
[mail][blog][page]
"When people are presented with a choice between hate and love, they will choose hate. When choosing between bigotry and tolerance, they will choose bigotry. And when they are presented with the easiest of all, good or evil, bet on evil. Because it's easy." ~ me
message 1097/1103 2013-01-25 12:12:11 (-0600)
outzider
user #1
4388 posts
22 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to paradox in message #1096:
OK, so, in most cases, swap is swap. If they had almost all of the physical memory used, but a small swap use, that'd be fine.

But really, this gets tricky.

It is possible that they are full of shit. The first variable here is that this is a java server -- memory reservations go high, even if the memory is not being actively paged. If you do a 'swap -s', how much is actually in use vs allocated? If the allocation is that 28G, but the reserved is quite low? You're okay -- you still have plenty to go.

The other thing is, the "swap" utility was written long before some of the nuances of ZFS and disk caching that came around with Solaris 10. It's possible that the reservation of swap has everything to do with ZFS reserved storage, and could still be released to the OS at a later time. Is this server running tomcat + sybase + mysql + other, or are you talking about multiple servers with the same behavior? If they all exhibit the same behavior, I think you're okay, especially if that memory usage is consistent among all of them. If this is one machine running all of them... well, first, wtf. second, wtf. third, yeah, you're probably fucked.

message 1098/1103 2013-01-25 18:28:06 (-0600)
paradox
user #2731
2891 posts
19 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to outzider in message #1098:
Thanks, oz and jade. That gives me a bit of a sanity check.

Yes, that is all running in a single virtual instance on an IBM 5500. There is a test instance on the same hardware with the same specs, running a mirror of the same services.

WTF, I know. WTF. But when I tried asking, they just looked at me like I was a paranoid delusional. Ignoring the fact that our web services are going up and down like a lone whore on shore leave.

I will check out the swap info and follow up with the admins again. I am going to suggest we at *least* split the dbms's and java apps onto separate virtual instances -- it's too difficult to take metrics right now and know who's contributing to what crashing, and it's starting to get out of hand.

Other than this little adventure, the new job has been pretty fucking sweet. And I don't have to deal with our Solaris server directly that often, I just want to make sure my work -- and my ass -- is covered.

Thanks!

I am Thwart-Man! *thwart* *thwart* *thwart*
message 1099/1103 2013-01-25 20:04:50 (-0600)
jadefalcon1
user #21137
8067 posts
27 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to outzider in message #1098:
"well, first, wtf. second, wtf. third, yeah, you're probably fucked."

This made me laugh. That sad laugh of the sysadmin.

This whole debacle makes me feel like someone said "virtualization!", and somebody else decided "Oh, neat, we can use less hardware!" Somewhere along the line it came down to "run everything virtualized on a single giant box!"

~Jade Falcon
[mail][blog][page]
"When people are presented with a choice between hate and love, they will choose hate. When choosing between bigotry and tolerance, they will choose bigotry. And when they are presented with the easiest of all, good or evil, bet on evil. Because it's easy." ~ me
message 1100/1103 2013-01-25 22:13:35 (-0600)
outzider
user #1
4388 posts
22 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to paradox in message #1099:
I think you've got it -- at the very least, get the tomcat instances and the databases on separate machines, /then/ start figuring out wtf is going on. :)

message 1101/1103 2013-01-26 16:57:47 (-0600)
outzider
user #1
4388 posts
22 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to jadefalcon1 in message #1100:
I'm sure you know all too well how wtf things can be. :)

message 1102/1103 2013-01-26 16:58:18 (-0600)
jadefalcon1
user #21137
8067 posts
27 karma points
[view profile]
[email user]
in reply to outzider in message #1102:
Sad, but true.

~Jade Falcon
[mail][blog][page]
message 1103/1103 2013-01-27 00:57:47 (-0600)
username: password: